Dark cacao layers with sweet coconut cream pillow and a mix of fresh berries, the summer is coming.. 😉 I created this cake to celebrate the start of yet another beautiful summer and all the beautiful things in life – from friends and family to wild flowers that you can just go and pick up from the forests.. Ah!
I love dark chocolate and with this cake I want to welcome you all to the dark side!
The cake is very basic and simple vegan dark chocolate cake that is made without the actual chocolate. If you know you don’t like this kind of chocolate cake I highly recommend you melt some chocolate or add chopped chocolate chunks to the batter. Keep in mind also that this is a dark chocolate cake, which means that the cake itself is not sweet at all, however this is why the sweet cream on top is the perfect match! Extra sweetness and freshness to light up the darkness comes from the berries.
Three layers of dark chocolate, sweet cream and fresh berries mmh.. I cut out the center of the 2nd cake layer and filled it with some extra strawberry slices. The fudgy center piece of the cake I crumbled on top of a nice cream bowl, it was a dessert heaven kinda day. Now to the recipe!
Dark Chocolate Spelt Cake
2 cups Spelt Whole Grain Flour
3/4 cup Cacao Powder
2/3 cup Coconut Sugar
1/3 cup Birch Xylitol or more Coconut Sugar
2 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Baking Powder
Pinch of Salt
1 cup Oat Milk (or other plant milk)
1/2 cup melted Coconut Oil
2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 tsp Vanilla extract
- First preheat the oven to 175C/350F and put a baking paper on bottom of a 15cm springform pan. Then grease the sides with some coconut oil to help to remove the cake after baking.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a big bowl.
- Heat the milk slightly (to keep the coconut oil in a liquid form in the next step) and then whisk all the wet ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ones. Taste the batter and add more sweetener if it’s not sweet enough to your taste buds.
- Pour the batter in to the prepared pan and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Let the cake cool, remove from the pan and cut in 3 layers.
The Coconut Cream
2 cans of Coconut Milk (chilled in fridge overnight)
6 Tblsp Agave syrup
- Open the cans and scoop the cream from the top (use the remaining coconut water for smoothies etc).
- Whip the cream and the syrup until you reach a whipped cream consistency. If the cream becomes too liquidy chill it a few minutes in your freezer.
Finally, chop your favorite berries and fruit to smaller bites and then simply layer the cake with the cream and the berries! If you want some extra berries inside the cake cut off a circle from the 2nd layer of the cake and fill the hole with more berries, I did this and chose strawberry slices to be the heart of the cake.
Serve to your friends and family – Enjoy 🙂